I don’t know how, but I’ve managed to get lost in two pools so far this month. I’ve become an expert at this topic, so I will share some of my tips with you. Here’s how to get lost in a small public building:
- Don’t pay attention to any signs
- Get changed in a bathroom that looks like every other room in the building
- Remove your glasses and lock them in your locker
- Stumble out of weird locker room to meet your swimming buddies
- Swim till you are ready to puke from exhaustion and inhaling too much water
Tonight was my first time swimming at the Vancouver Aquatic Centre, and everything seemed to go well until the end. After my workout, I wander back to the ladies room and look around. Nothing looks the same. I backtrack to ensure I took the same entry, and squint at every sign on my way back in. I wander around for what feels like forever, until I see someone. I squint and ask for help… seeing the fear in my blind eyes, she led me to the appropriate door. Thanks for the kindness of strangers in the local pool!
If I’m having this much trouble finding my way at the pool, I don’t know how I’m ever going to find my bike in the transition area at Challenge!